Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and it is responsible for providing the strength and structure of bones, muscles, skin and tendons. Our body’s own production of collagen naturally declines as we age. Decreased skin elasticity, appearance of wrinkles, joint cartilage degeneration and changes in hair and nails are all correlated with less collagen.Gelatin is more than just a fun colored, jiggly dessert. Gelatin is actually derived from collagen and contains many amino acids that are needed to build and repair our body’s tissues. I try to consume adequate gelatin in my diet through supplementation and bone broth.Here are the top collagen benefits:
- Skin and Hair – collagen improves skin elasticity, moisture and firmness.
- Leaky Gut – gelatin contains glutamine, which is an amino acid that is helpful for healing an inflamed GI tract. Collagen also contains glycine, an amino acid that helps to stimulate stomach acid production.
- Joints – collagen helps your joints to move with more easy and can even reduce the risk of joing degeneration and osteoarthritis.
- Weight Loss – 2 scoops of gelatin contains anywhere between 10 and 18 grams of protein. This protein source promotes satiety and helps to control appetite throughout the day.
- Energy – the amino acids found in collagen are beneficial for boosting metabolism and restoring energy.
If you’re interested in purchasing a gelatin supplement, I’d recommend the hydrolyzed Great Lakes gelatin. This company uses organic, grass fed cows and the supplement is tasteless and dissolves in cold liquids. I try to mix 2 tablespoons into my coffee several times a week.Have a great weekend!~ Dr. Estrada ~